The Whole Brain Architecture Initiative (WBAI) has been working to promote the research and development of brain-inspired artificial general intelligence (AGI) on the whole-brain architecture approach in accordance with the Basic Ideas of WBAI since March 14, 2017. Meanwhile, the recent rapid advance of large-scale generative AI has been making a major impact on our activities. On the one hand, it greatly accelerates the development of brain-inspired AGI with the brain reference architecture. On the other hand, it increases the possibility of realizing AGI through non-brain-inspired approaches.
In light of this situation, we have decided to slightly expand our mission statement so that we can contribute to society more flexibly, while still adhering to our basic vision “to create a world in which AI exists in harmony with humanity.”
Our new basic ideas are:
Here, we announce that we have set our basic ideas by adding the mission and values to the vision to be realized.
The Basic Ideas of WBAI
- Our vision is to create a world in which AI exists in harmony with humanity.
- Our mission is to promote the open development of artificial general intelligence through the Whole-Brain Architecture approach.
- In order to make artificial general intelligence beneficial to all mankind, we seek to continually expand open, collaborative efforts to develop AI based on an architecture modeled after the brain.
- Our values are Study, Imagine and Build.
- Study: Deepen and spread our expertise.
- Imagine: Broaden our views through public dialogue.
- Build: Create AGI through open collaboration.
We anticipate cooperation with those who agree with our ideas.
The Whole Brain Architecture Initiative, the NPO